ESP is a very fast archiver. Speed is similar to PkZIP, faster than RAR and ARJ. The whole program is written in BAPC language (assembly with extensions) and is optimized for 32-bit CPUs.
It has got a good compression ratio, in the most cases better than commonly used archivers: RAR, PkZIP, ARJ, etc... Check ACTEST for archiver comparison tests.
It's small. ESP.EXE (compress program) is 12644 bytes, UNESP.EXE (decompress, listing, etc) is 8650 bytes. Simple self-extractor routine (no color comments and encryption) is 3885 bytes, the full-featured is 4665.
It's FREEWARE, so you can use with commercial programs without payment. Note: Source code is NOT available!
Compression method is almost the same as the one other archivers use: LZSS and Huffman. Then why ESP is better?
- ESP compress directory too (RAR,ZIP,ARJ doesn't)
- ESP uses the "SOLID" method
- ESP sort files before compression, so SOLID method works better
- ESP notice same beginnings of files and store only the differences
- ESP uses special MultiMedia filters for 8-bit and 24-bit files. It won ACTEST's true-color bitmap compression test in 1997 september!
- Color (ANSI or RAW) text comments
- Graphic comments (320x200 or 640x480 GIF images)
- Encryption with password
- Multimedia compression (8-bit and 24-bit)
- Multiple volumes (split archive to floppy-size parts)
UNESP has an option for creating directory file in binary format, using fix record length, so you can use ESP files in your program in easy way.
ESP package also includes archiver configuration files for Dos Navigator and Volkov Commander. Many programs (archiver front-ends, etc.) supports ESP now, detailed list of them is also included.
Árpád Gereöffy (GyikSoft)
András Bártházi (Mikrolab)
Platform: DOS (works under Windows' DOS window and
under LINUX with DOSrun or DOSemu).
Native UNIX version is under development. UnESP for LINUX/UNIX is currently in beta state, see LINUX section for details!
From our FTP site:
From Slovak Antivirus Center (SAC):
ESP ARCHIVER IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS". NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. YOU USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS OR ANY KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING OR MISUSING THIS SOFTWARE.